How to Apply
A complete application includes the following:
- Application cover page, the Harvard Common Application for Research and Travel (CARAT)
- Application supplement form
- Description of summer scientific activity and goals (first essay)
- Statement of contribution to the PRISE community of scholars (second essay)
- Letter of confirmation from laboratory sponsor (Harvard Faculty), which may be submitted after the deadline date
- Letter of recommendation from academic year residential staff (Dean, Master, Tutor, Proctor)
- Letter of recommendation (Harvard community, unrestricted)
- Transcript with coursework through fall 2012
PLEASE USE THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS (DOWNLOAD BELOW) TO ASSEMBLE THE APPLICATION BEFORE SUBMISSION.
Complete applications are due in the Office for Undergraduate Research Initiatives (77 Dunster Street, Room 16) Tuesday, February 19, 2013. The office closes at 5:00 p.m., so be sure that your schedule permits a trip at some point to 77 Dunster Street before the deadline.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of PRISE and Harvard College administrators, and members of the PRISE Advisory Board, and Harvard Faculty in the sciences.
Final selection of PRISE Fellows is contingent upon verification of placement in a Harvard-affiliated laboratory or science research activity for the full ten-week duration of PRISE (June 10-August 16, 2013).
- Download and carefully read the formal Application Instructions and PRISE Application Supplement (in .pdf form), which include instructions for your recommenders.
Instructions and Supplement
- Follow the instructions to complete and print out the Harvard Common Application for Research and Travel. FOR PRISE, THE BUDGET PAGE IS NOT NECESSARY.
- Give your selected recommenders the instruction sheet (attached to the PRISE Aplication Instructions and Supplement). Collect your two rec and lab confirmation letters, with rec letters in sealed, signed envelopes. (The confirmation letter may be submitted after the deadline if necessary.) Please refer to special instructions for submitting letters via e-mail.
- Print a copy of your latest on-line S-REC, including your fall 2012 course grades. Or, obtain an official trancript from the Registrar’s office, open the envelope, and submit in your PRISE application (the second official transcript may be photocopied).
- Collate the components of the application in the order indicated on the application instructions.
- Make one copy of the application. You may want to make an extra copy to keep for your records.
- Submit your application sets (one original and one additional copy) to the Office for Undergraduate Research Initiatives (77 Dunster St., Room 16) before the deadline, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 5:00pm (close of business) .